On July 6th of 2011 I marked my jobless plight with a post titled Celebrating 1 Year Without a Job. In that post I shared my job seeking adventures. The funny, the shady and the disappointing.
In that post I had hoped to communicate that no matter how hard things had been I knew God was in control and that He would continue to take care of my family. In spite of the lack of work and career direction, it was clear that God had orchestrated this “fig tree moment”. It was just what my soul needed, focused time with God.
A mentor of mine suggested I read the book Red Sea Rules. Rule #6 really spoke to me, When unsure, just take the next logical step by faith. After reading that book I began to realize that the next logical steps for me were to get back into Christian radio and pursue my passion for God’s Word and the ministry via seminary. I had no idea if any of these things would lead to a job, but I just felt like I needed to move forward in these areas.
When the lecture topic my first day of seminary was how aspiring to church leadership was a ”nobel” thing, I knew I had made the right choice. My descion was confirmed as each of the following class lectures seemed like they were crafted just for me! I still had no clear idea of what I was going to do for work, my 99 weeks of unemployment compensation were running out, and our 3rd baby was on his way. All of those things could easily converge to drive any man into a room with 4 padded walls. And while I did have some minor freak out moments, I began to get a sense that God was a calling me back into full-time ministry of some kind. I still had no handle on the where, what, or when.
Obie James Moore was born on November 22nd, and a week later I was hired by the State of SC to help bring employers and job seekers together…don’t let the irony of that slip by…I had been unemployed so long that unemployment hired me!
On Monday December 12th, 2011 I went back to work. The final fig leaf had fallen…
I share all of this because many of you have been praying for us for so long. This is your victory as well. Led by the spirit others have provided financially, and always when we needed it. This blessing is yours also. I’m here to testify of God’s greatness, his wisdom, mercy and perfect timing. And just so you understand what I mean by “perfect timing” please follow this chronology:
- July 7th 2010, 8:45am Bill loses his job.
- July 7th 2010, Laura’s old boss calls to offer her a part-time consulting job. That plus her part-time job at our church gives her the equivalent of a full-time job.
- Jan. 1st 2011, Laura goes to work full-time as a temp consultant for Spartnaburg Community College.
- March 2011, Laura applies for the SCC AD job, but does not get it.
- April 2011, Laura is asked to return full-time to previous position at SCC with a significant pay increase and state health benefits.
- May 2011, Laura finds out that she is pregnant with our 3rd child. (Laura’s healthcare plan had just kicked in)
- September 2011, Bill starts SBTS classes.
- October 2011, Bill launches BackSpinRadio on WHRZ.
- November 22nd 2011, Obie is born.
- November 30th 2011, SC Works offers Bill a job.
- December 12th 2011, Bill goes back to work.
-December 13th Bill’s receive’s the last unemployment check in his account.
If we had not lived this miraculous timeline I would probably have a hard time believing it could happen. Perhaps that’s why most of us don’t experience more of God’s supernatural power in our lives…we don’t really belive it’s possible.