(is it just me, or did someone chop off a chunk of this girls head?)
Ahh the 80′s, how I like, totally miss thee. Your hair, your music, your movies, and oh yes, your fashion.
In case you hadn’t guessed it, I am a child of the 80′s and often I am taken with bouts of nostalgia. It was recently after another flare up, and a 999th viewing of the B2TF trilogy, that I began mulling this question .If I could go back in time and talk to the high school version of myself what would I say?
I don’t know about you, but I could lecture for hours. For the sake of time and attention span I will share just a few things that I would tell mini me.
(I apologize for the “inside humor” of some of the following statements, I thank you in advance for allowing me to indulge.)
1. Girls are cute, girls are fun, girls are best when you’re 21.
2. In about 5 years you are going to realize these were some of the best times of your life. Savor every moment,take more pictures,shoot some video. Stop being such a complete jerk.
3. Spend more time with, and have more fun with, as many of your classmates as you can.
4 Hell hath no fury like a girl done wrong…I’m dead serious.
5. For the love of all that is good and decent, just say “good morning” to Mrs Milner!
6. Underclassmen really do look up to you. Be a better example to them,
(but you can still give them the shoulder shake while they are at the urinals!)
7. Everyone, including your best friend, get’s invited to the TMNT party. Idiot!
8. Hey goofball, most of your teachers just graduated from college. You might want to cut them some slack…but not too much.
9. Telling the play director that you are quitting the play a week before opening night,
is probably not a good idea. I’m just sayin’.
10. Please, I’m begging you, just be quiet in Biology class and in German class,
and in History class, and in…aw geesh, just shut up!
11. Are you kidding me? Stay ON the basketball team,
you will be working for the next 60 years of your life. Oh yea, and buy stock in Apple. No really I mean it.
12. Stop buying pants that are too long, because “pegging” them really looks stupid.
13. You will not beat the system that is in place at your school.
It will be much easier for you if you just follow the rules.
14. And in case you didn’t hear me the first time. Stop being such a complete jerk!
15. Your not listening to a thing I’m saying are you?
16. Yes, you really look like this in 2011. I’m sorry.
Sadly we can’t go back in time and have the “come to Jesus meeting” with ourselves that some of us wish we could. But, with the guiding nudge of the Holy Spirit maybe, just maybe, we can take a look back at who we WERE, and use some of that hindsight to change who we ARE, and who we are becoming.
What would you tell your 17-year-old self?